Monday, January 12, 2009

JULIA TO JULIE

Julie Powell is tired of her life. She is bored with her job. She works long hours only to bring home takeout to eat late at night with her husband. She has always dreamed of being an actress. It doesn't look like that dream is going to come true. As she nears 30, she feels her biological clock ticking but she really not sure she wants a baby. What does she decide to do to get out of her funk? She decides to cook every single recipe in Julia Child's "The Joy of French Cooking" in a year. It's not easy cooking gourmet food in a tiny New York City apartment kitchen and she has over 500 recipes to finish. Still, the project is intriguing and Julie shares the joys and the struggles to reach her goal.

This book started out as a blog of Julie's cooking adventures. I am not a cook, but I do love to bake, so I could kind of relate to Julie's thrill with cooking these challenging recipes. At times, I thought Julie was shallow and self-centered. I also hated her profanity! Still, some of the stories were absolutley hilarious as she described cooking her first lobster, eating calf liver or chopping open a bone to get out the bone marrow. I'm sure that at some point I would have thrown in the towel. I guess that's why I had to how Julie finished the project.

Rating - 4 stars

No comments: