Wednesday, July 28, 2010

THE HUNGER GAMES

Katniss and Peetra have been selected as the tributes from District 12 for this year's Hunger Games. Every year, each of the districts must send a boy and girl ages 12 -18 to fight to the death in the Hunger Games. This is to remind the citizens of the sacrificies that the Capitol has made for them and their well being. Actually, Katniss' sister, Prim, was selected but Katniss took her place. She is older and has learned to hunt and supply the family with food since her father's death. She is better prepared to participate in the Hunger Games which have become a national sport, televised for all of the citizens to watch. Still, the chances of Katniss remaining alive are very slim indeed.

I read this book only on my niece's recommendation. Actually, it was a gift and I felt it would be rude not to read it. Futuristic novels are not my cuppa tea. Still, Brae had loved it and so did the rest of her family. I started out reading it pretty slowly but it quickly grew on me and I had to finish it to see if Katniss actually survived. I was grateful to learn that there was a sequel which did give me hope. It was a very thought provoking book and I have encouraged my daughters to read it as well.

Rating - A

No comments: