Thursday, September 4, 2008

WHISKEY SOUR

Jack Daniels, a Chicago police detective, has been having a tough time. Her boyfriend moved out and in with his personal trainer. She's thinking of trying a dating service to meet new men but that has some glitches, too. Most disturbing of all is a serial killer who tracks down women and leaves his signature - a gingerbread man. He seems to delight in taunting Jack and it's a race to see if she can catch him before he kills other - or even Jack.

I have heard of this series for a quite awhile. Mostly, I found this to be a good mystery. I had some reservations about Jack. She's a very tough cookie and it seems that for someone her age, she doesn't have her life together at all. Her mother, although a minor role in the book, seemed pretty unrealistic to me. I'll probably try another book in this series at some point, but it didn't grab me like some books do. It could be the graphic descriptions of the violence but I think most likely it's that I wasn't as drawn to the main character.

Rating - 4 stars

No comments: