Sunday, March 18, 2012

ROGUE ISLAND

Liam Mulligan is a tough Providence, Rhode Island newspaperman. He's one of a dying breed and he knows it. He's supposed to be writing nice stories about dogs instead of hard news but Mulligan prefers doing things his own way. Right now, he wants to know who is starting fires in his old neighborhood. The fires are destroying property but also killing people. The closer Mulligan gets to the truth, the more his life is in danger.

I saw a review that recommended this debut novel by Bruce DeSilva and saw that it had won a ton of awards. I have a soft spot for newspaper stories and I'm glad I picked this one up. Mulligan is a die-hard Boston Red Sox fan who knows and loves his hometown, warts and all. The characters in this book were amusing, tough and disappointing - all very true to life. I even took the time to see if there is a sequel in the works and I was delighted to find out there was. I'll be there, Mulligan!

Rating - A

No comments: