Sunday, June 22, 2008

THIS PEN FOR HIRE

Jaine Austen is a freelance writer. She writes letters for clients, prepares resumes and makes business brochures. She's never had a client ask her to do what Howard Murdoch wants - a letter to convince a beautiful aerobics instructor to go out with him. Much to Howard - and Jaine's - surprise, she agrees. When Howard goes to pick her up, she's been clubbed to death with a Thigh Master and Howard is the prime suspect. Jaine can't believe that nerdy Howard is capable of killing anything, so she decides to investigate. Posing as a writer for the New York Times, a policewoman and a lawyer, Jaine manages to solve the case, but it isn't easy!

I have been hearing that Laura Levine's Jaine Austen series is a fun lighthearted series and I agree. It certainly isn't serious literature but it is a nice diversion. Jaine was a likable character even is she is pretty ditzy and her other characters were amusing. I didn't have the murderer pegged until the end. I'll probably read another in the series, but I think I would need to break them up or they might become rather tedious and dull.

Rating - 4 stars

No comments: