Saturday, July 25, 2009

WICKED PREY

Lucas Davenport has his hands full. The Republican convention is being held in Minneapolis. Someone is robbing the "money man". These are the underwraps guys who pass out money to grease the wheels of the convention. Although no one wants it made public, so far, the robbers have made off with several million. It's Lucas' job to find them and stop them before more damage is done and more people are killed. In the meantime, Lucas' ward, Letty is having problems of her own. She finds out that Randy Whitcomb, a criminal who holds Lucas responsible for him being in a wheelchair, plans to abduct her. Letty takes matters in her own hands as she realizes that Lucas would kill the man and it could be very dangerous for him and his career.

I love John Sandford's Lucas Davenport books. It has been a while since I read one and I thought this one was hard to get into at first. The dialogue was very disjointed. Somehow, the writing was jarring for me. If I hadn't loved so many of the books in the series before this one, I think I would have given up. It did get better and I ended up liking the book quite a bit. I am looking forward to more of Lucas and it seems that Letty may be a main character in books in the future, too.

Rating - 4 stars

No comments: