Sunday, August 2, 2009

THE SCARECROW

Jack McEvoy isn't having a good week. He is the latest person to be fired from his job at an L.A. newspaper. He will be replaced by a young woman who is barely out of college. As he begins to contemplate his new life, he gets a call from a distressed woman who insists that the paper has printed lies about her grandson, 16-year-old drug dealer in the projects who is accused of murder. Jack checks the story out a little further and realizes that the woman may be right. He also realizes that this is the kind of story that wins Pulitzer prizes. He decides that his last big story is going to be a great one that will make his bosses wonder if they fired the wrong man.

This Michael Connelly book started out a little slow for me. I was reading it in print and then I switched to audio. I think I liked audio a little better. As Jack and his friend and former lover from the FBI, Rachel, worked to untangle the mystery, the story continued to get better. This was a good read but maybe not my favorite of Connelly's. Still, there were plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader engaged.

Rating - 4 stars

No comments: