Sunday, August 16, 2009

BEAT THE REAPER

Dr. Pete Brown is a resident in one of the lousiest hospitals in New York City. It doesn't take the reader long to find out that Dr. Brown is a smart doctor but definitely a man with a past. One of the new patients in the hospital has stomach cancer but he also is a member of the mob and he recognizes Dr. Brown as Bear Claw, a ruthless killer for the mob. Dr. Brown has to do whatever he can to keep the patient from talking and ruining his position in the witness protection program. Dr. Brown isn't just any normal doctor, though, and he takes the readers on a wild and crazy chase as he tries to save his own life.

I believe the author of this book was Josh Bazill. I have to say that the book was much darker and grittier than I usually choose to read. Still, it was very suspenseful and kept the reader intrigued. From the killing to revenge the deaths of his grandparents, to finding out their true identities, to his tragic love affair with a girl named Magdelena to the very bloody and gritty ending of the book, it was a book the reader couldn't let go of. I didn't always like Peter Brown but in the end, I certainly wanted for him to live. I'm not sure if I'd try another of this author's books, but I think in 6 months or so I could!

Rating - 4 stars

No comments: