Monday, October 19, 2009

BREAD ON THE TABLE

Lottie Porter lived through the Depression. Almost single-handedly, she managed to raise her large family and keep food on the table. Times were tough but for the most part, her family was happy and didn't realize all of the things that they were missing. She helped buy a farm and grew produce to trade and sell. She made clothes for her children. Maybe most important, her family never went hungry and often, she welcomed others to their table, too.

This memoir was written by my cousin, Renetta Burlage. I didn't know her Grandmother Porter, but I did hear stories about her. Renetta said that she didn't know her well, but she heard stories from her mother and her aunts and uncles. Renetta began collecting these stories and wrote them down as a family chronicle. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Most of it was set near Nichols, IA where I grew up so the setting was very familiar. I also loved reading stories of my aunt and her siblings, most of whom I know or had heard of growing up. I thought Renetta's telling of her grandma certainly described to hard work and morals of that generation of women. I am proud of my cousin and glad she wrote down these family memories.

Rating - 5 stars

No comments: