Friday, April 30, 2010

Uniform Justice

Commandante Guido Brunetti is called to investigate the apparent suicicde of a young cadet at a military academy. Everyone seems to want to keep the situation very hush hush and no one wants the case to be investigated very clearly. Brunetti comes to believe that the boy was murdered and did not commit suicide but he must get past administrators of the school and his own bosses who want the case cleared as quickly as possible. In Brunetti's low-key way, he persists until he determines the truth of the boy's death.

I have only read one other of Donna Leon's books. I liked that one and I liked this one also. It does seem that she is bent on placing doubt about various institutions in Italy. This time it is the military and the government. Last time it was the Catholic church. I enjoy Brunetti and his family but I'm not sure that I appreciate all of the cyncism. However, I would probably be willing to try another book in this series.

Rating - B

No comments: