Saturday, June 18, 2011

THE SEX CLUB

Kera Kollmorgan is passionate about her work at a local Planned Parenthood. She has recently lost her son in Iraq and her marriage is disinigrating, so work is very important to her. When a bomb rocks the clinic, Kera is relieved when no one is seriously injured. Shortly after, a young teenager is found dead in a dumpster. Kera is very concerned because the girl had seen her the same day as the bomb. Detective Jackson is on the case. He is very disturbed by the murder because the 14-year-old victim was a friend of his daughters. Kera and Jackson soon realize that there are church groups willing to do anything to force their morals on others and that a group of teens seems to be engaging in very risky sexual behaviour.

I really enjoyed this book for the most part. I didn't always agree with Kera's views on young teens and their sexual activities and abortion. Sometimes, the parents' group were described as very short-sighted in their views. I also thought that the "sex club" seemed a little unlikely given the background of the kids involved. I may be wrong but I'm not sure that all of the kids in very strict religious backgrounds would participate in a very open group sex club at such young ages. It seemed like a stretch to me. Still, I liked Kera and Jackson and I would be willing to try the next book in the series.

Rating - B

No comments: