Thursday, April 9, 2009

Always Looking Up

Michael J. Fox shares with readers what it is like to live a life with Parkinson's. He tells of his decision to leave "Spin City" and for the most part to leave his acting career behind. He also tells of his choice to become more of an activist for stem cell research. He reveals his own search for faith and how much he appreciates his wife and children. With humor and humility, he shares glimpses into his life, the everyday and the highlights over the past eight years or so.

I am of course touched by Michael J. Fox and his struggle with Parkinson's after watching my own dad struggle for so many years. In ways, it was comforting to read Fox's accounts and to see how truly optomistic he is in spite of the losses and challenges he has faced. I'm not sure that I agree with all of his points about stem cell research but I certainly have a better understanding of the subject. I hope that Fox's eloquent account of his view of life is a reflection of how my dad felt for the most part if he had been able to voice all of his feelings. I wish MJF all the best in facing the days ahead - he seems to have worked through so many things that he doesn't need my wishes but he would probably appreciate knowing that others are cheering for him.

Rating - 4.5 stars

No comments: