Wednesday, April 29, 2009

OPEN SEASON

Joe Pickett is a Wyoming game warden. He's still kind of new to the job and living in the shadow of the warden who had the territory for many years. When a local outfitter is found dead on the woodpile outside of Joe's house, he thinks that something sinister is going on. When he is part of a search party team that finds two more outfitters dead, everyone is happy to pin the blame on a loner found in the camp. The old man gets shot during the search and is unable to tell anyone how the outfitters died. Joe continues to investigate, despite everyone urging him to let it go. Before long, it becomes apparent that Joe's search for the truth may hurt him and his family.

I recently read "Blue Heaven" by C.J. Box and I loved it. I was anxious to start the Joe Pickett series. This book started out kind of slow for me and I almost didn't finish it. As the story went along, I started to really like Joe and his family. I also have always been a fan of westerns and men who live up to old-fashioned ideals. I am certain that I will soon be hunting for the second in this series.

Rating - 4.5 stars

No comments: