Thursday, December 31, 2009

THE QUEEN MOTHER

This was the fascinating story of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. I confess to knowing very little of her history other than she was much loved by the people of England and that she died when she was 100+ years old. I also knew that she had been born in 1900 like my grandmother. I loved the story of a girl from a priveliged background who caught the attention of a prince and eventually became Queen of England. The story also had some sad times as her beloved husband died in his 50's and the present Queen of England was crowned when she was only in her mid-twenties. From then on, Queen Elizabeth became the Queen Mother.

I must admit that I read 729 pages of the 943 in the book. That doesn't include the family trees or the many, many pages of the index. It was a long, long book but overall it was fascinating and a great overview of England in the twentieth century.

Rating - 4.5 stars

No comments: