Friday, March 14, 2008

Betrayal

Dismas Hardy inherits a missing lawyers files and finds himself involved in the appeal of the murder case involving Evan Scholler. Scholler had met Ryan Nolan when he was stationed in Iraq. Due to Nolan's rash actions, Scholler's troops were nearly wiped out in a fire attack and Scholler sustained severe head injuries. Upon returning home, Scholler finds that Nolan has also stolen his girlfriend. When Nolan is found dead, all evidence points to Scholler killing Nolan. The more that Dismas reviews the case, the more convinced he is that Evan is innocent. Dismas' pal, Abe Glitzky is also involved in solving a series of murders relating to Scholler's case.

I usually love John Lescroart and I think I've read all of his books so far. I was disappointed that Hardy and Glitzky have such small roles in this book. It really took awhile for me to get into the story. I'm not a big war story fan and it was probably a hundred pages or so before I was convinced to stick with it. Lescroart's characters are usually very human and Nolan and Scholler were no exception. All in all, it was a good book but I'll be hoping that Lescroart's next book features Hardy or Glitzky or even Wyatt Hunt.

Rating - 4 stars

No comments: