Sunday, March 9, 2008

Turning Angel

Penn Cage was a prosecutor in Houston before returning to his hometown of Natchez, Mississippi, to live a quiet life with his daughter and write novels. His peaceful life is disturbed when a high school student at St. Stephen's, his alma mater, is found murdered. Penn is startled when his old friend, Drew Elliott, now the town's physician, seeks his advice. Drew admits that he has been having an affair with the teenage but denies killing her. Penn is sure what to believe but he is drawn into a very scary world of politics, drugs, sex and secrets.

This is the first book I've read by Greg Iles. I found parts of it too graphic and disturbing but I also thought it was a well-written novel with only too-human characters. At times, the main character and his family were the only people that I could sympathize with at all. The plot is full of twists and turns and if the mark of a good book is the ones that you keep thinking about for a long time, TURNING ANGEL, is that kind of book. I understand that this is Iles' second book featuring Penn Cage, so I will probably try to go back and read the QUIET GAME. I also hope Iles will write another book featuring this character because the ending leaves many possibilities for a future story. All in all, this book is well-worth the time.

Rating - 4 stars

No comments: