Friday, March 7, 2008

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen

Catherine Grace Cline, daughter of the local Baptist minister, spends her Saturday afternoons at the Dairy Queen with her sister, plotting to leave their small Georgia town as soon as she can. Catherine Grace's mother died when she was six and it hasn't been easy. She is sure that her future lies in the big exciting city of Atlanta. On Catherine Grace's 18th birthday, she boards a Greyhound bus, leaving her family, the boy she loves and her neighbor, Jean, who has taught all a girl needs to know. Before long, Catherine Grace is called back to her hometown and nothing is the same - not the people she thought she knew and not the town she longed to escape.

This is the first novel by Susan Gregg Gilmore and she is already being compared to Jan Karon and Fannie Flagg. What great company to be in! Gilmore's characters are delightful and her descriptions of small town Southern life in the early 1970's make you feel at home. On the surface, this seems like a quick and light read, but there are many layers and lots to ponder regarding loving people despite their flaws and that sometimes what we think we want isn't really the right thing at all. I think that I chose this book because the title was so intriguing. How could I miss out on a book with Dairy Queen in the title? I'm glad that I read it and I hope that Susan Gregg Gilmore just keeps on writing!

Rating - 5 stars

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn’t find the post for the reading challenge, so I’ll post here.

Welcome to the 100+ Reading Challenge! :-D I have posted your link on the right sidebar of the blog. Another thing I am doing something, at least I think it is. I'd like to start posting the participating members favorite book for each month on the blog. January is posted on the blog and some have sent February’s. If you send me your favorite book and author of the book for January, I’ll post it in the photo slider.

Best of luck and above all, have fun!