Tuesday, March 11, 2008

This I Believe

THIS I BELIEVE is a collection of essay from famous people and everyday common folk stating their personal beliefs. The essays were collected from a radio series on NPR radio that aired in the 1950's and was revived fifty years later. Some of my favorite essays are from the 1950's series. It was amazing to read the personal credos of William O. Douglas, Albert Einstein, Helen Keller, Jackie Robinson, Helen Hays and Eleanor Roosevelt stated in their own words. Just as fascinating were the philosophies of the essays from modern times from authors like Bill Gates, John McCain, Newt Gingrich, Gloria Steinam, William F. Buckley, Jr. and Dr. Benjamin Carson.

It's not easy to state your personal beliefs in 350-500 words. Readers were encouraged to write their own essays and share them with the radio producers. Two 0f the essays that really stuck with me were written by less well known people. "Be Cool to the Pizza Dude" by Sarah Adams speaks to the importance of treating everyone equally and with kindness. Diedre Sullivan discusses the importance of doing the right thing, even when we don't want to in her essay, "Always Go to the Funeral". I really enjoyed reading this book. I didn't agree with everyone's point of view, but most were thought provoking, leaving me to answer my own question, "What do I believe?"

Rating - 4 stars

No comments: